Cannabis exists in many strains but are into two major types namely the Cannabis Indica and Cannabis Sativa. The two may be different and possess different effects but they are relatively similar. There is also a third classification of the cannabis called the hybrid, which is the crossbreed of the different cannabis strains. Some effects of the cannabis indica vs the cannabis sativa strains are the same while others differ.
In this writing, you will learn the various differences between cannabis sativa vs cannabis indica strains and their different effects. This are the most common grown species among the cannabis class. The common informal name for these two plants is weed. It is a name thought to be associated with the fact that the plant used to be cultivated either illegally, or its recreational use was illegal in most of the countries across the world. This brings about the term weed just like the unwanted plants that grow in people’s farms.
The origin of the names indica and sativa traces back to botany and not to the difference in effects, as many people believe. The different effects of these two plants are caused by the chemical composition in either of the strain and how the body of the consumer reacts to that chemical composition. Sativa describes the hemp plants. These plants were mainly grown for their seeds and fiber in Western Eurasia and Europe. On the other hand, Indica is the inebriating variations. It was initially learnt about in India. This was where the plant was grown for its hashish production, fiber and seed.
Indica vs Sativa most notable differences
- Sativa plants are taller than the cannabis indica plants
- The cannabis sativa plant leaves are tall and narrow unlike the cannabis indica leaves that are short and relatively broad compared to those of sativa.
- Indicas seem to get bushier as they grow. Due to the short indicas size, indoor growers favor the indica to the tall sativa plants.
- Indicas take a shorter time grow and bloom compared to the cannabis sativa, which may take a month or more to grow in relation to the period the cannabis Indica takes.
Effects of sativa vs those of the cannabis indica strains
- Indica is more calming and more relaxing
- Sativa is more energizing stimulating
- Sativas have the mood-lifting effects due to their composition of low CBD and high THC
- On the other hand, indicas due to their sedating effects may leave the consumer feeling sleepy.
For this reason, indicas are sometimes called nighttime strains.
Crossbreed strains may possess both the effects of the cannabis sativa and the cannabis indica. According to the percentage composition of the two strains in the hybrid, the one taking the larger percentage has its effects felt more. That may not always be the case as the body also reacts differently therefore one might feel the effects of the one taking the lesser percentage and fail to feel the effects of the other or feel both the effects but in different times.
Whatever the cannabis strain one uses, they should learn to be careful and ensure they do not abuse the cannabis use.